Bringing Siblings to Live in the United States as Permanent Residents

To petition to bring your sibling (brother or sister) to live in the United States as a Green Card holder, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years of age. Permanent residents may not petition to bring siblings to live permanently in the United States.

Required Documentation

To successfully complete the process, the U.S. citizen petitioner (i.e., the sponsor) must submit:

  • A completed Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. You do not need to file a separate Form I-130 for your sibling’s spouse or unmarried children under 21 years of age.
  • A copy of your birth certificate and a copy of your sibling’s birth certificate showing that you have at least one common parent.
  • Evidence that you are a U.S. citizen, such as:
  • A copy of your valid U.S. passport, OR
  • A copy of your U.S. birth certificate, OR
  • A copy of Consular Report of Birth Abroad, OR
  • A copy of your naturalization certificate, OR
  • A copy of your certificate of citizenship

Can my sibling come to the United States to live while the visa petition is pending?

There is no avenue for your sibling to enter the United States prior to immigration on the basis of a pending Form I-130.  In most instances, the beneficiary of a pending or approved immigrant visa will not be eligible for a nonimmigrant visa, although certain exceptions may apply.

My Petition was Denied: Can I Appeal?

If the visa petition you filed is denied, the denial letter will tell you how to appeal and when you must file the appeal. After your appeal form and the required fee are processed, the appeal will be referred to the Board of Immigration Appeals.