Intracompany Transfers: Eligibility and Requirements for L-1A and L-1B Visas

Whether you are an employer seeking to transfer employees to the U.S. or an employee looking to work in the U.S., we aim to provide valuable information to help you achieve your goals. I.S. Law Firm has helped countless clients successfully obtain L visas. In this blog, we will share our expertise and insights to help you understand the eligibility requirements, qualifications, and filing process for L-1A and L-1B visas. So, let’s explore how they can benefit you.

L-1A and L-1B visas are temporary work visas for intracompany transferees. An intracompany transferee is someone who has been employed by a qualifying organization outside the United States and is being transferred to work for a branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary of the same organization in the United States.

The L-1A visa is available to those working in managerial or executive positions in a company located outside the United States. These positions require the employee to have significant decision-making authority and supervisory responsibilities. The L-1B visa is available to those who will be working in positions that require specialized knowledge of the company’s products, services, research, equipment, techniques, management, or other interests and its application in international markets or an advanced level of knowledge or expertise in the organization’s processes and procedures.

To qualify for an L-1A or L-1B visa, the applicant must have worked for a qualifying organization abroad for at least one continuous year within the three years before their admission to the United States. The purpose of their entry must be to provide specific services to a branch of the same employer or one of its qualifying organizations.

To apply for an L-1A or L-1B visa, the employer must file a petition using Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, pay the filing fee, and provide all required evidence and supporting documentation. The employer must demonstrate that the employee meets the qualifications for the visa. Once the employer files Form I-129, they will receive a receipt notice confirming they received the petition, a biometric services notice if applicable, a notice to appear for an interview if required.

If the petition is approved, the employee may enter the United States for their authorized stay, typically three years, for an initial visa. They may apply for extensions of stay, up to a maximum of seven years for an L-1A visa or five years for an L-1B visa. The employee’s spouse and unmarried children under 21 may also apply for visas to accompany the employee to the United States.

If you’re interested in applying for L-1A and L-1B visas and require professional legal assistance, we are here to help. To schedule a consultation, please use the following link: Schedule a Consultation – I.S. Law Firm, PLLC. We look forward to assisting you.