Today we will discover what visas and statuses automatically entitle a person to work, and applying for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) is not required. And exceptions for which a work permit can be obtained even if it is not required.

  • As a lawful permanent resident, you do not need to apply for an EAD. Your Green Card is evidence of your employment authorization.
  • If Asylum status approval has been received, you also do not need to apply for an EAD because asylum status automatically entitles the person to work. The applicant can additionally receive an EAD by paying a state fee. Usually, when we submit a client for the adjustment of status process, there is one chance to apply for a work permit free of charge, which we usually do.
  • If you have a nonimmigrant visa that authorizes you to work for a specific employer (for example, you have an H1B, H2B, L1, O1 visa for people with extraordinary abilities, P, or I visa for journalists and media workers). These visas do not require a separate EAD card. At the same time, only the principal applicant is provided with a work permit automatically, and the spouse must obtain a work permit separately.
  • Investor visa E-2 for small businesses from countries that have signed an agreement with the US on the E-2 visa. E-2 visa principal applicant is not required to get a work permit. Still, the principal applicant’s spouse must obtain an EAD.


So, a work permit is automatically given in cases where a person has a green card, asylum, or work visa. All other categories must receive an EAD.


Our Law Firm will help you to get an EAD. Don’t hesitate to contact us via phone at +1 (703) 527-1779 or email: [email protected].