My adjustment of status application is pending but my travel authorization has not been approved yet. I have a family emergency outside the U.S., what can I do?

It is important that you do not depart the U.S. without your travel authorization approved. Doing so will result in USCIS considering your application as abandoned and will deny it. If you have an emergent reason, you can contact the USCIS to ask them to expedite the processing of your document. There are two ways to do this 1. You can schedule an InfoPass appointment at your local USCIS office explaining the emergent reason. If the officer approves the request, they will stamp your passport allowing you to depart and return while your case is pending. 2. You can call the USCIS toll free number requesting an expedite. USCIS will then mail you a decision. With either of these options, USCIS will ask for proof of the emergent need to travel.