The optimal time to submit the form for Green Card renewal depends on the type of Green Card you hold. If you have a regular 10-year Green Card that is nearing expiration, you can file for renewal up to six months before its expiration date. The process for renewal is straightforward and can be done online.

Once you file the renewal application, your current Green Card will be automatically extended for an additional two years. During this period, you can continue to travel and work using your expired card and the extension notice you receive.

For conditional Green Card holders who obtained their Green Card through marriage to a U.S. citizen, the initial Green Card is valid for two years if the marriage is less than two years old at the time of approval. To renew the conditional Green Card, you should file the renewal application within 90 days before its expiration. Like the regular Green Card renewal, the process includes an automatic extension of your current Green Card for an additional period, usually two or three years.

Fulfilling the renewal application before your Green Card expires is important to take advantage of the automatic extension. When you receive the new Green Card, you can use it together with the expired card until the expiration of the new one.

Remember to review the specific instructions provided by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for your particular Green Card category and consult with an immigration attorney if you have any questions or need assistance with the renewal process.