Individuals with an I visa do not need to apply for an EAD. The I visa is specifically for journalists and media workers coming to the United States for work purposes. Unlike other nonimmigrant visas, the I visa does not require an EAD because it is tied to the specific employment authorized under the visa category. The I visa allows individuals to work only for the purposes related to their journalism or media work as specified in their visa.

However, for individuals with an I visa, applying for a Social Security number may still be necessary. A Social Security number is typically required for tax purposes and to comply with certain U.S. government regulations. It is important to note that each individual’s situation may vary, and consulting with an immigration attorney or the appropriate government agencies can provide accurate guidance on whether a Social Security number is required in a specific case.