People applying for marriage-based permanent residency in the United States (also known as “green-card”) often ask this question: “Why should I hire an immigration lawyer?”
Although the results of each specific case may differ based on the details of the particular case and interviewing officer, it is essential for all green-card applicants to submit all necessary documents and carefully prepare for their adjustment of status interviews. A good immigration attorney plays an important role in that process.
The process of family-based petition involves extensive collection of information and supporting documentation, multiple reviews, verification and accurate completion and filing of proper forms with proper authorities. The process can be daunting, and minor mistakes can lead to delays, extra costs, and unfavorable consequences. Common mistakes that applicants make when filing on their own include:
- Failure to submit all required forms
- Failure to properly fill out the forms
- Failure to include all required documents
- Failure to disclose information
- Failure to check whether your documents, especially from a foreign country, are valid for U.S. immigration purposes
- Failure to disclose all criminal history
- Failure to disclose all employment history
- Failure to disclose prior immigration history
Any of these mistakes can result in a request for evidence, which leads to delays in the case, or a denial. If the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) determines that you have committed serious misrepresentation, you may become permanently inadmissible for a green-card. Even if you do receive a green-card, you may face serious problems, including potential deportation, later on, for example when you apply for U.S. citizenship.
It is crucial to have an attorney prepare your document package when you file your papers with the USCIS. Your chances of success are considerably higher if you retain a competent and experienced lawyer. Fortunately, our law firm can help ease the process and obtain the best results. Specifically, we will:
- Determine the best timing and procedures for a successful result
- Advise you and your spouse of possible difficulties that you may have in obtaining a change of status as a result of your current status or background
- Guide you in providing the proper information and documentation
- Determine all necessary forms to be filed depending on your circumstances
- Carefully prepare all necessary forms and supporting material for filing with USCIS
- Review and confirm compliance with immigration laws and regulations
- Guide and prepare you and your spouse for the successful interview process, including participation at the interview upon your request
- Update you and your spouse on upcoming deadlines and events related to the subject of this petition
- Advise you and your spouse of all risks and problems in the process, as may become apparent;
- Keep you abreast of changing laws, regulations, and interpretations that may affect your case while it is being processed.
I.S. Law Firm’s immigration lawyers have helped many people from different countries to obtain permanent residency in the United States. We collect all necessary documents, including evidence of good-faith marriage, and make sure that any potential problems are sufficiently addressed before we file the petition. Our principal attorney Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski meets with every couple and thoroughly prepares them for their interviews. We pay individual attention to every client, make every case personal to us, and put all of our efforts to not just do our job, but to win every case.
If you want to apply for a green-card based on your marriage, or to explore other immigration options, please contact us by telephone at +1-703-527-1779 or via e-mail: [email protected].